What we covered in class this week
We are halfway through Essay 4! These kids are learning so much and doing a great job of it. This week we are adding in our Amplification. The goal of an amplification is to identify your audience and then add an impassioned plea (of sorts;-) that would directly target something they specifically care about in our attempt to persuade them towards our thesis statement.
BIG ANNOUNCEMENT! I offered all the students the opportunity to join an optional writing contest that begins this week and runs through the end of the school year. Each student who wished to participate was given a notebook to fill during the next five months. Here are the guidelines:
– All material must be original to the student. (No copywork, narrations, note taking, etc.)
– Accepted writing may include but is not limited to: poems, stories, essays, book reports, retelling of stories, journaling, ideas about life, free-writing, etc.;-)
– Previous writings may not be included.
– Students may write on every line or every other line.
– Every page front and back must be filled.
– Illustrations must be limited to margins.
Any questions are welcome!
The prize awarded to each student who completes their book is a day trip to Denver with all other finishing students to visit a museum, park, and share a meal together. This is a fair competition so only those who complete their notebook will be awarded the prize!